Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Definition Essay: "Love"

Many people have a different definition of the word “love.” For me love is not just a word to say to my boyfriend, it’s the feeling I have towards my friends, and family. It’s when my heart starts pounding with excitement and jumping up and down when something good happens to my loved ones, and when my heart squeezes when something bad happens to them.

Two years ago I met one of my friends, Vika. We are very different and same at the same time. I could never even imagine that this girl would become one of the most important people in my world. Scientists are right, opposite charges attract, and so did we. When she is happy, I try to be happy too, even though I might have problems. When she is upset, or something I’m just crushed. I can’t stand her getting hurt. It always hurts me a lot to see her suffer from something. I always try to protect her, and if I don’t my heart just breaks into pieces. It is hard enough to care for one person, but much harder to care for two.

The second person I care about is my friend, Mike. I almost a year ago, and since then we have always been together. He is a little more than a friend to me, and the regular definition of the word “love” isn’t good here. It is more than a word to tell him, it’s what I feel toward him. When he is smiling, my heart melts the same way it did when we met. When Mike is angry I feel like someone squeezed my heart, and doesn’t want to let go. If he is hurt, I hurt even more, and nothing can help me. His touch still sends chills through my body, and if he has to leave I start missing him even before he leaves. I try to protect him as much as I can, even though it’s not right, his friends aren’t really good, and that’s why I usually end up getting into the conversation between him and his friends, or trying to tell him what things are good and what are bad, and that’s why his friends hate me.

Three other people in the United States that I love very much are the members of my family. My mom, dad, and brother are the only family I have here. I really care for them, especially my brother. When my parents are not at home, I have to make him food, check his homework, and help him with whatever he needs. I’m like his nanny, but I work for free. I also try to do as many house chores as possible, so that my mom won’t have to do anything. When my mom was in Ukraine, had to be her substitute. I had to clean, cook for my brother, and cook food my dad could take with him to work. I always call everywhere they ask me to, and speak English for them. I try to help them as much as I can.

Many people expect love to be just a word, or a simple feeling, but it’s not. Love is much more some word or a simple feeling. Love is something really beautiful, something that your whole body can feel. If the person is really in love he/she feels it with every ounce of his/her body. My loved once are my friends, and my family. I try really hard not to have them hurt or disappointed. I get really happy and excited when they achieve what they wanted or planned. And it’s really hard to watch them getting mad, hurt, or disappointed when something doesn’t work the way they wanted it to be. Love isn’t a mental feeling, it’s a physical feeling.

No comments: